Monday, December 14, 2009

Advent ABC's: Profit

Whenever our investment advisor calls, I give him Nelson’s cell number and tell him he has permission to talk to Nelson. I am not money smart—especially when it comes to understanding all the language of investments. I trust Nelson and I trust our guy at Edward Jones. It was a little scary last year, when like everyone else we lost a bunch when the markets bottomed out. We rebounded, but I still find myself holding my breath a bit when they tell how the markets did on the news.

With that in mind, I want to consider two passages today:

25 If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake, you will save it. 26 And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul?[l] Is anything worth more than your soul? (Matthew 16:25-16, NLT)

7But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. 8What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord (Philippians 3:7-8a, NIV)

What would it profit a person to gain the whole world, but lose their soul? Soul’s have eternal value, and we don’t tend to think on that level. We live in the microwave world. We want instant everything—and make it disposable, too!

Paul’s answer to Jesus’ question is no, nothing is worth more than your soul. Paul had much to brag about. When he tooted his own horn, there was plenty to toot about. But for him it was dung, crap, manure, fertilizer compared to the value he found in Christ.

The people I know have done a good job of asking me what I need for Christmas. I don’t need anything. That’s not to say that there aren’t several things that I would want—I can’t think of anything I NEEEEED. At the top of my want list is to know my Lord better, because I’m learning that the more I know him, the less I need, and the happier I am.

How are your spiritual profits and losses looking? Need anything? Pass up the stuff, and give me more of Jesus!

1 comment:

Hope said...

Just wanted to say Merry Christmas to you and yours. I hope you've had a great day!

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    About Me

    My photo
    I am 54 years old. I have been married for 32 years to one of the most incredible men on the face of the planet. Our journey hasn't been easy, but it's been rich in love, forgiveness, joy, and adventure. I'm learning daily that God really does have a plan for my life. I want to live into whatever that means...however it unfolds. I'm an ESFP with a healthy dose of ADD...I love to help people see how very incredible they are and how much love God wants to lavish on them!