Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Happy 30th To Us

Over thirty years….
- I completed my BA and 3 Master’s degrees.
-I birthed two children (I accomplished that in 13mo).
-We lived in Ohio, Wisconsin, Ohio, Missouri, Kansas, and back to Ohio.
-We have lived in Norwalk, Clyde, Toledo, Eliva, Medina, Kansas City (MO), Kansas City (KS), West Liberty, Urbana, Ashland.
-We fostered around 25 kids, 3 were girls and we wish we had never done that!
-We have had 21 vehicles and 3 motorcycles.
-We owned one home (which we lost in the bankruptcy).
-We lived in an apartment complex once, in the basement level.
-Nelson has been a meter reader, pipefitter, a head cook, the assistant manager/cook at a pizza/family style restaurant, a waterbed deliverer (and he did set up), drove school bus, built decks, did home remodeling in high end houses in KC (Mission Hills), build 3 houses, managed a convenience store/gas station, did sales for a grocery company, owned and operated 2 Blimpie restaurants, worked just about every department in Home Depot, build another house, and done factory work for the past two years.
-I have been a cashier at a Pharmacy, a Front Desk manager at the Hotel Breakers, a pastor in Ohio, Wisconsin, and Kansas City, associate pastor of youth and music in Toledo, assistant pastor in Medina, “teacher” in Cleveland , hospital chaplain, agency chaplain, child and family counselor, cashier at a convenience store/gas station, sub maker at a family owned deli, packaging supervisor, materials handler in a factory, reentry development coordinator, job readiness teacher, writer, elder sitter, and fitness tech at Curves.
-We’ve had seven cats and six dogs.
-We’ve had two refrigerators, four stoves, four sets of washer and dryers (I like the current one best), and too many vacuums to count (again the current one is best of all—it’s a Dyson).
-We’ve had only one dining room table, but countless sets of chairs to go with it (right now we’re using plastic lawn chairs).
-We still use the same pepper mill, hand mixer, and crock pot that we got as wedding gifts.

We’ve run the gamut of emotions. I have tested Nelson’s commitment to the core. He has been more patient than Job and more forgiving than Hosea.

We don’t have a lot of things to show for all our working, but we have things that the bankruptcy can’t touch or ever take away.

The only thing I asked for on this my 30th anniversary was 30 more years.

6 comments:

Hope said...

Happy, happy anniversary! As I wrote to only daughter this week: only the two people in a marriage can ever really know what theirs is like....the rest are only guessing.

Knowing the innards of our marriages makes one grateful to celebrate such long life. Congratulations to you both.
God is good.

The Momma said...

This was a delight to read! I wish for you to have 30 more years together too. Happy Anniversary!

HeyJules said...

Happiest of days to you both! What a wonderful gift to be married to someone for 30 years.

Congrats, Daisy - I know it hasn't always been easy but it's always been memorable, no?

Debra said...

Happy anniversary! It's wonderful when anyone makes it that long nowadays. We celebrated our 30th last November. Oh, and thanks for your last comment at my blog. It made my day and made me smile because I've received others like it and I do realize my posts can make people crazy--some even make *me* crazy! :) So thanks for letting me know--it was fun... :) Blessings, Debra

daisy said...

Wishing you a delightful anniversary, and a blessed year ahead until the next anniversary. There is something about knowing someone inside and out, and still choosing to commit to loving each other. By the time you've spent thirty years together, you know the good, the bad, and the ugly! Ha! Congratulations! I wish thirty more years for you together as well!

And to the anonymous poster, it's obvious why you won't sign your name. You don't want anyone who knows you to know what a jerk you really are. Get a life.

Saija said...

awwww - happy belated anniversary to you! wow ... another decade ...

it is definitely called commitment! we are going on 35 ... been rowing the same boat (though sometimes in different directions! *laughing*) for a long time now!

blessings on you!

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    About Me

    My photo
    I am 54 years old. I have been married for 32 years to one of the most incredible men on the face of the planet. Our journey hasn't been easy, but it's been rich in love, forgiveness, joy, and adventure. I'm learning daily that God really does have a plan for my life. I want to live into whatever that means...however it unfolds. I'm an ESFP with a healthy dose of ADD...I love to help people see how very incredible they are and how much love God wants to lavish on them!