Friday, April 8, 2011

A Plan for the Journey

This year, I think I will give myself a very unusual gift. If there is anything that I have longed for and seemed to just miss out on , it is discipline. I am the most undisciplined person I know. Over the years I have completely overused the following excuses to keep from developing any semblance of self-discipline: I'm left handed (this got me out of learning to knit and crochet); I'm lazy (I heard this enough that I figured it must be true); I'm a perfectionist therefore since I know I can't be perfect, why try?; I have children; I work; I'm too overweight; I have ADD; it goes against my personality; I've tried before and been unsuccessful. But the most crazy of all is thinking that I can't be disciplined because I'm not.

Since I have not been able to buy discipline, and believe me I have tried, I figure that what I need to do is develop it. I know enough about myself that it won't be good for me to just say in so many days I am going to become a disciplined person. Such thinking is doomed to fail because it is not specific or measurable. Instead of setting a globally ineffective goal for myself, I am going to use my goal setting standards (SMART) and identify four target areas within my life that I intend to address by developing self-discipline.

The first two are in the area of the physical. The other day when I saw the cardiologist I weighed in at a whopping 240 pounds. A week previous to that I saw my physician and she told me that I need to address the obvious issues related to cholesterol and glucose through the means of improving my diet and exercise. I would love to weigh one hundred pounds less by my next birthday. Short of gastric bypass, I will have to diligently work at this through exercise and diet. My goal for the remaining month of April is to begin to adjust my eating. The main thing that I will seek to increase is my intake of vegetables and water consumption. I will set my next diet goal on April 30 for the month of May. As for exercise, I will work out with the Easy Shaper at least 3 times a week, ride my bike at least twice a week, and walk the dogs 3 times a week.

The next area is creative. I have sat here thinking long about this. There are so many things I want to do. I don’t want to set one limiting goal. I think instead I will set a monthly goal. So, for the remainder of April I will identify 10 already written pieces to send in for publishing and send them in by April 30. By April 30 I will also identify my goal for May.

Determining a fourth area means ruling out other viable contenders for attention. I’m sure that Nelson would like me to become more disciplined about housekeeping. I could easily set a monthly goal related to de-cluttering my life. I could see setting a goal in the area of community action. I even thought about a teaching goal. But sitting quietly, I asked for guidance in the identifying of the final area for attention in this coming year. And I believe that I need to both grow and discipline myself in the area of study.

I am out of date and stagnant. I need to get current and really stretch my mind. One thing I would love to do is get training toward certification in MBTI. I also want to improve my knowledge base related to spirituality and personality. Many years ago, I started translating the book of Philippians from the Greek to English. I would like to complete that. To move closer to accomplishing those goals, in the month of April I will research and identify a MBTI training that I would like to attend. I will gather and set aside my Philippians resources and work on translating the first chapter. I will read one book about Philippians.

I have read and read this piece, checking the do-ability of each goal; measuring it’s requirements against my schedule. I want to develop discipline, but I’m not going to go on a retreat to accomplish this. I will keep working and watching my grandson. I have commitments at church that I want to follow through on and obligations at home. I want to develop discipline as a life style so that other areas of my life will be positively impacted, not ignored. I want to go into this completely believing that what I am setting out to do is what I can do, what I want to do, and what I need to do grow.

I will be 54 tomorrow. I have a plan to go with me as I journey toward being 55. I wonder what I’ll do then?

1 comment:

Judy said...

I hear you on sooo many of these.

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    About Me

    My photo
    I am 54 years old. I have been married for 32 years to one of the most incredible men on the face of the planet. Our journey hasn't been easy, but it's been rich in love, forgiveness, joy, and adventure. I'm learning daily that God really does have a plan for my life. I want to live into whatever that means...however it unfolds. I'm an ESFP with a healthy dose of ADD...I love to help people see how very incredible they are and how much love God wants to lavish on them!