I had to go out this morning and mail a package for Nelson (aka, The Hub-which seems fitting as he is such a central part of my life). He sold a stereo receiver on Craigslist--to a woman in Indiana. And she was willing to pay the shipping. He bought it off CL for $20 and it wasn't what we needed so he sold it for $25 plus shipping. Amazing.
When I was done I decided to spend some of my allowance at Goodwill. I found a couple tops at half price and was quite pleased. Then I drifted aimlessly over to the rack of shorts. I don't wear shorts. My legs are so white that I feel I do the world a service by wearing capris length summer pants. I won't tell you that it also cuts down on the cuts I used to have when attempting to shave my legs. I won't tell you that because it's embarrassing and way too much information. So don't ask.
Anyway... I found myself actually look through the rack of shorts when I came across a pair of longer walking shorts. They were well made, a name brand. I fell instantly in love. I even tried them on. And they fit. The wierd thing is that they are a plaid with very unusual colors. I would never in a million years have put lime green, bright yellow and grayish green (or green gray, I can't tell) together. Never. But I will buy the longish walking shorts in those colors that someone else decided to put together.
So I walked out of my retail therapy session having spent $11 and I purchased two tops, my really cool long-shorts, and a half slip. Yeah, the last thing surprised even me, but I have a couple summer dresses and skirts that are a tad bit on the too flimsy side and I will feel more comfortable wearing a slip. Does that make me sound old? I guess that's okay, because I am, kinda sorta.
In just over a week, I will be fifty-five. I wish someone could explain to me how I don't feel as old as that sounds? The fresh crop of grayness in my hair which is framing my face screams it at me, but I'm getting better at considering it as cheap highlights for the moment.
Nelson and I went out for dinner the other night at Denny's. A very yummy experience.
I looked through the menu and when I got to the back cover I began to snicker. Nelson looked at me like I was sounding a bit goofey. I just looked up at him and announced that we'll be able to eat out more soon, since I will be able to eat for less. I wonder what other little perks I'll find as learn to age with grace and a slice of panache.
Nothing is wasted. My life is often messy: sometimes because of choices I've made and sometimes becuase life is just messy at times. No matter how the mess comes, one thing remains true: out of the mess comes my message.
Friday, March 30, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Twitter Updates
About Me
- daisymarie
- I am 54 years old. I have been married for 32 years to one of the most incredible men on the face of the planet. Our journey hasn't been easy, but it's been rich in love, forgiveness, joy, and adventure. I'm learning daily that God really does have a plan for my life. I want to live into whatever that means...however it unfolds. I'm an ESFP with a healthy dose of ADD...I love to help people see how very incredible they are and how much love God wants to lavish on them!
No comments:
Post a Comment