Sunday, October 9, 2011

PTI

Pardon the interruption of my perfectly wonderful weekend...but I am beside myself with....I, who am the controller of words, don't even know what word to use to describe my utter disgustgruntledness.

I was making coffee when Nelson called me to the computer room to watch a news video on yahoo. It seems that during the LSU/Miami(?) game yesterday, the kicker (a young kid from Australia)ended up pulling off a trick play and scoring a touchdown. Wahoo! Cue the celebration...but wait! It's called back. Seems the NCAA created a rule this year to curb taunting (aka, celebration) and because this extremely excited kid lifted his arms at the ten yard line he was guilty of taunting and the touchdown was nullified and penialized.

Say what?

Did you also know that there is a kid in my fair state (I think he's in Ohio) who plays PeeWee football and he is no longer allowed to score any points. Seems he was scoring too many and parents complained. So, this kid can play the game but he isn't allowed to score.

Really? Are you kidding?

But wait there's even more and this affected me directly. Because of my work schedule I had only been able to attend one of Asher's soccer games before last night. When I got to the game Beth reminded me that I wasn't allowed to cheer. (Picture me completely dumbfounded.) Seems that at the first of their little games the parents of our boys cheered to much and too loudly and other parents were offended. You read that right. And they complained. So the head of the program went to our coach and instructed her to tell our parents that they needed to cool it on the cheering. Needless to say, most of the parent apologized to the coach, but let her know that they weren't backing down. We cheer for all the boys, on both teams, but when they came to tell us in person that we couldn't they were going to get an ear-full.

Can't celebrate?! Can't score?! Can't cheer?! This is beyond wrong. We don't celebrate enough. Truly celebrate. So the kid is good let him score. Is your kid so fragile that he doesn't know how or can't accept losing? Welcome to life. People win and people lose. Oh wait, there could be someone sitting in the stands with their concealed weapon...maybe we should rethink this. Goodness knows we don't want to offend anyone.

Is it possible to live that way? This has just made me absolutely and literally sick to my stomach. I'm about to go to church. I'm going to be sitting there wondering who I'm offending. God help us. God help me.

2 comments:

Judy said...

Ugh.
But your date weekend sounds WONDERFUL! I'm cheering THAT on!

daisy said...

I couldn't agree with you more! It has gone to an utterly ridiculous level of exactly what you said--protect the poor little things from the pain of losing. So, what now? We are going to create a little utopian bubble for our kids to grow up in so they never experience hardship? Excuse me. A little healthy adversity when you are young builds that all-important character that you will need to get through the bumps in the road that come along in life when you get older. I could maybe see their point if you were taunting the opposing team when they made a mistake. But not to cheer for your favorite team? What is this world coming to?

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    About Me

    My photo
    I am 54 years old. I have been married for 32 years to one of the most incredible men on the face of the planet. Our journey hasn't been easy, but it's been rich in love, forgiveness, joy, and adventure. I'm learning daily that God really does have a plan for my life. I want to live into whatever that means...however it unfolds. I'm an ESFP with a healthy dose of ADD...I love to help people see how very incredible they are and how much love God wants to lavish on them!