Our church has participated in Advent Conspiracy for a couple years now. Last year we bought gifts for a family of five. As the time approached this year, I really didn't know how we were going to be able to give what with our own finances so tight. Well, God made a way. A family in our church donated some money and we will add to it to be able to bless another family.
This afternoon I called the family to get some ideas before I went shopping. All I knew was that we had a mom with a 10yr old daughter and an 18yr daughter. I told the mom who I was and why I was calling and she started to cry. In addition to learning what the kids liked, I also learned that the dad died just last month (11-1-08). My heart started to break. Things may be tight, but my life is so blessed.
I felt very strongly that we needed to do more. I wrote the Minsiter of Outreach who was organizing this whole thing and told her that I was going to try and do more by contacting the leaders of our Sunday School Class and passing a card around next Sunday. Tonight we had our intergenerational Christmas program and I talked to the class leaders and they agreed that it was a great idea.
I'm sure that this will be a very different Christmas. To participate in this conspiracy will mean that there will be fewer gifts for Nelson and I...and you know what: I'm ok with that. We are blessed, and even more blessed as we share the blessing with others.
So I wonder...how will you be a blessing in your corner of the world?
Nothing is wasted. My life is often messy: sometimes because of choices I've made and sometimes becuase life is just messy at times. No matter how the mess comes, one thing remains true: out of the mess comes my message.
Sunday, December 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Twitter Updates
About Me
- daisymarie
- I am 54 years old. I have been married for 32 years to one of the most incredible men on the face of the planet. Our journey hasn't been easy, but it's been rich in love, forgiveness, joy, and adventure. I'm learning daily that God really does have a plan for my life. I want to live into whatever that means...however it unfolds. I'm an ESFP with a healthy dose of ADD...I love to help people see how very incredible they are and how much love God wants to lavish on them!
3 comments:
Oh, I love this. I have given gifts through Angel Tree, but I usually donate to the local food shelf, which manages a toy giveaway. But this is more personal, and I think, more meaningful.
I'm not involved in a church family right now where we might possibly find a situation where we could conspire to help...we visit a church farther away where we bring a couple of our grandbabies on Sundays. But it's far enough that we haven't joined any groups or gotten involved otherwise. I'll stay open to the possibilities. God will provide both the opportunity and the means.
dear tina i love reading your postings. my heart hurts when i have heard of the bad luck u have had .and is your husband back to work? well god bless you and your family and please kept on writing i really enjoy reading it
Advent Conspiracy is an awesome thing. I love it.
Post a Comment