Monday, December 29, 2008

There's No Place Like Home

I got dressed for work early today. I'm wearing one of my Curves' shirts. It has ruby red sneakers sitting on a yellow brick workout mat and the writing on it reads: There's no place like Curves.

On the TV is Disney's Alice in Wonderland. Alice is now singing about how she gives herself very good advice, but seldom takes it. I hadn't really paid attention to the movie--it reminded me immediately of the Wizard of Oz. Alice, like Dorothy, was wishing to be someplace else, imagining that to be somewhere different would make things better. And we all know how that turns out...

But why? In the very beginning we had the Garden. We had intimate access to God. And only one rule to follow. And we were enticed by a slithering serpant to believe that more than what we had was to be envied and obtained--even at the cost of losing what we did have.

I have often dreamt, and wished, that life might be different, but more energy was put into making the now the best it could possibly be. It's not always easy. I look at the lives of my friends and see things that could certainly be enviable. Most of them wouldn't stress over broken glass frames (mine broke last nigh) or be trying to figure out how to cut pennies that will add up to dollars. But I refuse to disparage my life.

I'm just sitting here amongst the chaos and noise of two of my grandsweeties and I much as I'd like to dive in staighten and bark out orders, I am content to watch strange cartoons, read stories, and change batteries. I'll take the wonder in their eyes over the lostnes of Wonderland any day!

2 comments:

The Momma said...

The wonder in my kid's eyes saves my cold heart many a day. Enjoy!

Saija said...

and there's no place we can imagine that will compare to our heavenly home ...

my prayer for 2009? even so, Lord Jesus, come!

blessings on you, dear one ...

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    About Me

    My photo
    I am 54 years old. I have been married for 32 years to one of the most incredible men on the face of the planet. Our journey hasn't been easy, but it's been rich in love, forgiveness, joy, and adventure. I'm learning daily that God really does have a plan for my life. I want to live into whatever that means...however it unfolds. I'm an ESFP with a healthy dose of ADD...I love to help people see how very incredible they are and how much love God wants to lavish on them!