So Tuesday night, just as I was getting ready to plant the garden, I had an episode of chest pain. It was awful. I was kneeling and just beginning to plant when I started feeling "funny." I made it back into the family room where I doubled over from the pain, couldn't catch my breath, and began to cry uncontrollably. It lasted about five minutes. Wednesday I had some residule pain that reminded me of the pain you have after you have a charley horse. The pain was on the upper right side, radiating down my arm. Because it was on the right and not the left, I assumed that it couldn't be a heart attack or issue.
I have learned I was wrong.
Wednesday I called my OB/GYN to make sure that this was not related to the digital mammogram I had last Friday. Then I called my heart doctor (remember: I had a heart cathe done last April). He, of course, is currently on vacation. I spoke at length with his nurse (she's so thorough). She made me promise if it happened again that I would beat feet to the ER, and then told me to get in touch with my primary doc. Since it was Wednesday, I knew that wasn't going to happen until at least today (they ALWAYS close at 12 on Wed.). The receptionist at my doc said she would squeeze me in today, but I also had to promise her I'd get to the ER.
This morning I had breakfast with my friend and she along with all the mentioned above (and my mom, Nelson, and Beth [Asher's mom]) made me make the same promise.
I left the Philippians Bible study that I'm co-leading and went in to see my doc. She was not happy that I didn't go to the ER. Sorry. I relied on bad info and didn't want to over react and create more medical bills. She said that it could be related to my microvascular disease (news to me), my asthma, or anxiety. So she gave me a script for nitroglycerin (and instructed me how to use it), ordered blood work and a chest x-ray. She my heart sounded good, as did my lungs. I have an appointment to see my cardiologist next Wednesday and a follow up with her on June 30.
Since I hadn't heard my aforementioned diagnosis of microvascular disease, I went hunting on the internet. What I remember from my discussion with the cardiologist is that my hear is ok, but my little vessels are working overtime. That's why he put me on the very expensive, but effective, Renexa. In talking with a different (but seemingly competent) nurse today when I made next week's appointment, I was reminded that we could up the medication from 500 to 1000mg twice a day.
Anyway, reading about microvascular disease turned me on to microvascular angina and angina pectoris. The pain is in the pectoral area--that again is why I didn't think it was related to my heart. This whole thing can be exascerbated by mennopause. So which comes first the chicken or the egg? And what and how do we treat it.
As for pulmanary issues...there seems reason to be concerned about chronic issues here. Lovely. And I also did some reading on the genetic disposition to anxiety, since both my mother and her sister struggle with it, my sister has had anxiety attacks for years, and my daughter has recently begun asking me questions about it. I've coped with mine like I did with my ADD, but it seems to possibly have exceeded my internal mechanisms.
I'd like to go somewhere and just relax. Vacation is four weeks away. Hopefully, it will be a relaxing time.
Nothing is wasted. My life is often messy: sometimes because of choices I've made and sometimes becuase life is just messy at times. No matter how the mess comes, one thing remains true: out of the mess comes my message.
Thursday, June 9, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Twitter Updates
About Me
- daisymarie
- I am 54 years old. I have been married for 32 years to one of the most incredible men on the face of the planet. Our journey hasn't been easy, but it's been rich in love, forgiveness, joy, and adventure. I'm learning daily that God really does have a plan for my life. I want to live into whatever that means...however it unfolds. I'm an ESFP with a healthy dose of ADD...I love to help people see how very incredible they are and how much love God wants to lavish on them!
2 comments:
I hope they get to the bottom of this quickly!
I had symptoms that pointed to heart attack, and I didn't go to emerg (and it's free here!). I was afraid they'd say it was just because I was fat and should go home. Yeah, I've got issues. Mine turned out to be gall bladder (who knew gall stones could make you feel like you were dying?!). And my gall bladder is no longer with me.
I am anxiety ridden. And migraine ridden. Oh, and fat and diabetic.
Not to mention, getting old.
I blacked out at my computer Wednesday.
It seems to have been from the heat/humidity because as soon as it was gone, so were all of my symptoms.
Do take care.
Post a Comment