Sunday, January 18, 2009

At Home

Have you heard the phrase "I feel at home in my skin"? It typically refers to being comfortable with who you are.

I would like to report that I am definitely not comfortable in my skin.

Several years ago, I developed a really dry, scaly, red, and itchy patch on the back of my left ankle. It covered quite a bit of my calf. I went to a dermotologist. He said it was something that sounded like tree bark disease. He said that because of stress I was rubbing my leg in bed while I slept. He perscribed a steroid cream and a steroidal tape. It cleared up and I thought no more about it.

Last fall I developed a two inch patch on each of my shins. When I finally saw the doctor in May she wanted me to see a dermotologist to be properly diagnosed. She perscribed a steroidal cream and wanted me to only use it on one spot. I had to cancel that appointment because Nelson's insurance was on hold while he was on disability this summer. I ened up using the cream on both spots and they cleared up--temporaily.

When I saw her again in December. I had 1/2 inch spot on my right shin. We scheduled an appointment for Feb. 3 with the dermotologist. Since then I've developed patches on the fronts and backs of both my legs, on hips, on my arms, and both breasts. I itch all over. The spots and patches are red and scaly.

I am uncomfortable in my skin.

Now before you suggest a skin cream, I've tried just about everything. Nothing OTC has ever worked. The first dermotologist told me the problem was due to stress and being overweight. He suggested I walk and lose weight. I did. I'm working out regularly at Curves. I will never be stress free, but I have been working to cope better. I guess we'll see come the third.

In the meantime--I hate itching. Hell is a place with unquenchible itching.

7 comments:

Judy said...

Ughh. I HATE itching. I shall pray you will find relief.

The Momma said...

I am praying that you find relief too. I struggle with a few small patches on my fingers and have used several prescriptions & OTC stuff on it too. Stress does make it worse.

daisy said...

Oh, how miserable. Itching is the worst because you have to scratch, and by the time you're done, it hurts so much. And it still itches. You have my sympathy.

Anonymous said...

Tina: Oh my gosh I have the same type patches on both of my ankles. But mine only come in the winter. I am heavy year round and stressed year round so I doubt the source is the same. I think it is just the dry house.
Vicki

Hope said...

I hate itching. If you read in one of my recent posts - I have a back scratcher by my desk - I put it on the night table when I go to bed.
I hope you get some relief soon.

daisy said...

Aaaah! I thought I was the only one with a back scratching brush by the side of my bed. Although now it's on the other side of the bed...my honey has caught on to the brush, so I share. :)

But daisy, let me know how they turn out for you. Make sure they're just about crispy before you take them out. And will you share your version, too?

HeyJules said...

As someone who has lived through horrific bouts of poison ivy, you have my deepest sympathies. I hope they figure this out and get you on the road to permanent recovery!

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    About Me

    My photo
    I am 54 years old. I have been married for 32 years to one of the most incredible men on the face of the planet. Our journey hasn't been easy, but it's been rich in love, forgiveness, joy, and adventure. I'm learning daily that God really does have a plan for my life. I want to live into whatever that means...however it unfolds. I'm an ESFP with a healthy dose of ADD...I love to help people see how very incredible they are and how much love God wants to lavish on them!