Wednesday, January 14, 2009

I Know He Watches Me

Today was a good day at work. I arrived and actually got my car backed into the garage (with no depth perception that's a pretty good feat). I fed the cats, stoked the wood furnace, and got Ma'am's breakfast ready. When she finally emerged from her bedroom, I was beyond pleasantly surprised. She was in wonderful humor. We spent breakfast and coffee time chatting and remembering. We talked about snow storms and kids and memories.

The rest of the morning went pleasantly. When I was done eating I went out in the snow and cold and filled all the bird feeders. Ma'am loves to sit in the window seat and watch all the birds. She was sitting there and I was across the way in the dining room doing my cross stitch when she began to sing, "His Eye Is on the Sparrow." The notes weren't all correct and some of the words were missing, but it was a sweet, sweet sound.

I sat there in the quiet when she was done and I found myself thanking God for my job. I feel so serene. Now that's a really odd thing. It has been snowing all day and blowing. Typically, that combination is enough to keep my innerds in perpetual turmoil--but today, I was even peaceful driving home.

I was thinking about the song Ma'am was singing. Do you know it? Here are the words:
Why should I feel discouraged?
Why should the shadows come?
Why should my heart feel lonely?
And long for heaven and home

When Jesus is my portion
A constant friend is He
His eye is on the sparrow
And I know He watches over me
His eye is on the sparrow
and I know He over watches me
His eye is on the sparrow
and I know He watches me

I sing because I'm happy
I sing because I'm free
His eye is on the sparrow
And I know He watches me (He watches me)
His eye is on the sparrow
And I know He watches (I know He watches)
I know He watches me

(I) I sing because I'm happy
I sing because I'm free
His eye is on the sparrow
And I know He watches me (He watches me)
His eye is on the sparrow
And I know, He watches me
He watches me
He watches me
I know
He watches me.

It's sort of like the adult version of Jesus Loves Me This I Know. When I was a little girl, I remember going to a big dark church and listening to my mom practice this song with someone playing the organ. Three decades later I was able to sing it as a duet with my mom. It was cool.

Today, the words were real and special to my heart It really has been a good day.

2 comments:

The Momma said...

I'm so glad you've had a good day. God's peace is a sweet gift.
And I love the words to that song!

daisy said...

I can feel the peace coming through your words. And the song brought tears to my eyes. Yay for a good day.

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    About Me

    My photo
    I am 54 years old. I have been married for 32 years to one of the most incredible men on the face of the planet. Our journey hasn't been easy, but it's been rich in love, forgiveness, joy, and adventure. I'm learning daily that God really does have a plan for my life. I want to live into whatever that means...however it unfolds. I'm an ESFP with a healthy dose of ADD...I love to help people see how very incredible they are and how much love God wants to lavish on them!