Saturday, August 6, 2011

The week in review

Adventure day started in Columbus and included a trip to a residential architectural salvage place. It was amazing. What I really loved is that they displayed the stuff in repurposed fashion. It was so cool to see how to use the different things in different but useful or decorative ways. I loved it.

Then we went to several different antique shops. There were so many things I would have loved to have. I could absolutely do my whole house in retro fashion. The other style I love is Mission and there was so much of that. Unfortunately, I happen to love the stuff that is way beyond my budget.

We ate lunch at a Greek restaurant. It was ok, but not as good as the little one we went to much closer to home in Mansfield.

It was incredibly hot, and on the way home we decided that it was too hot to go to the Flea Market in Mansfield so instead we a lovely drive through the country to Mount Vernon and stopped for ice cream at a wonderful shop that makes its own unique flavors and gives huge servings. Yum!

This week seemed to fly by. I started a cross-stitch project. Really I had to restart it. It’s a southwest design that I’m doing for my mom. I think it’s going to be pretty. It’s on a much smaller weave than I’m used to, using a single thread of floss. I was surprised at how much my eyes ached when I was done each day.

Today I went to a town in the south of our county to there Friends of the Library book sale. Nelson told us the time wrong and we got there an hour early. Asher was along with us and he wasn’t very excited until we killed the extra time by checking out a street sale near the library and he got some Spongebob lunch box keepers for school. Then when he got into the library he found a whole shelf of comic books and really cool kids science magazines. I was looking through the stack he had picked out and I said that one of them was about mummies. He was quick to correct me and inform me that in fact it was about Egyptians. He was correct, but it just amazed me how smart he was. When I was 5 I didn’t know an Egyptian from a Martian. This sale was donation based. I got 13 books: 6 cookbooks and 7 fiction and it “cost” me $16, which was all I had to give. Beth thought the sale was lame, because it was so much smaller than the sale at our library, but Asher and I left quite satisfied.

After we got back to our town, we headed to the municiple parking lot downtown and went to "Touch a Truck." This is a community event where lots of the emergency vehicles, tow, ladder, and other really cool trucks set up and kids can climb in and sit in the driver seats, honk the horns, and just get up close and personal with all these really big and cool vehicles. Asher had a blast. What made it even more special was that he saw several of his little friends from Preschool and Daycare this summer. They were so cute together.

This afternoon after work, Nelson wants to take Asher to a super fun spot called Acres of Fun and they want me to go with them. This is a reward/bribe to get him to shape up and act less antagonistically with his mom. I don’t envy Beth the huge job of being a single parent. Asher can be such a dear, creative and delightful one minute, and then nasty mouth demon child the next. He pushes her buttons and tries so hard not to be a scraming mom. I’m thankful that we can be a buffer and respite for her…and him. What is clear is that Asher can control his behavior, hopefully we’ll be able to help him make better choices. One of the problems is that we have raised him to think and unfortunately, a child that thinks gets opinions and opinions can sometimes lead to behavioral choices that don’t mesh with what parental/grandparental authorities desire.

So of course since we have some sort of plans Heidi just texted me to see if we want to come for dinner. Sounds really good to me. Would love some good food, laughter, and adult fellowship, but I don’t know if we can squeeze it in. It will probably all depend on whether Nelson has to work--gets to work tomorrow. Last week he had 73 hours in, and this week he’ll be over 65 when he gets home in a bit. Guess we’ll see.

Hope your day is full of laughter and friends.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    About Me

    My photo
    I am 54 years old. I have been married for 32 years to one of the most incredible men on the face of the planet. Our journey hasn't been easy, but it's been rich in love, forgiveness, joy, and adventure. I'm learning daily that God really does have a plan for my life. I want to live into whatever that means...however it unfolds. I'm an ESFP with a healthy dose of ADD...I love to help people see how very incredible they are and how much love God wants to lavish on them!