Monday, January 21, 2008

God's Mirrors

How do you read 2 Corinthians 3:18?

I was perusing through my new Max Lucado book and I found a chapter called “God’s Mirrors.” Intrigued I flipped all the way to page 535. He spends the first part of the chapter recounting how a man used a mirror to send an SOS message and get rescued from an island during the war. Then rather tongue in cheekly he poses several hypothetical situations that might have occurred if the mirror were egotistical, or insecure, or full of self-pity.

His point: we are God’s mirrors. “Reduce the human job description down to one phrase, and this is it: Reflect God’s glory.” He then quotes 2 Corinthians 3:18 and points out the very interesting nature of the Greek word Katoptrizo. It can be translated either beholding as in a mirror or reflecting like mirrors. He asks: which is correct. And the answer is both. And the truth is the job is both, also.

To behold God so intently (as Moses did) would result in our reflecting Him.
Have you beheld anything lately? It implies so much more than the casual glance we give anything these days. There is a deep sense of study, contemplation, and serious pondering (thank you Mary for the marvelous example of pondering all things in your heart).

How you use your mirror can lead to a rescue, of one or many. I’m holding the mirror. What do you see?ac

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    About Me

    My photo
    I am 54 years old. I have been married for 32 years to one of the most incredible men on the face of the planet. Our journey hasn't been easy, but it's been rich in love, forgiveness, joy, and adventure. I'm learning daily that God really does have a plan for my life. I want to live into whatever that means...however it unfolds. I'm an ESFP with a healthy dose of ADD...I love to help people see how very incredible they are and how much love God wants to lavish on them!