Monday, June 2, 2008

Hi, I'm Daisy.

Today is day two of Nutrisystem. I have followed the plan to the letter. I have been very pleased that I haven’t been hungry. I think in part that’s because the plan pays attention to the glycemic index. If you put the right stuff in the engine runs better.

Now, I want to go on record to assure you that I didn’t win the lottery. Yes, Nutrisystem is more costly than eating mac and cheese, but Nelson got this batch off ebay for a really good price. I will be doing this for the month of June to kick start my weight loss goals.

Today I had my follow up appointment with the doctor. The results were mostly good. My liver enzymes were good; no signs of diabetes; blood counts are good; and thyroid function is good. My cholesterol though is over what is recommended. My total is 218 and they don’t want you over 200. She gave me some dietary recommendations and wants me to redo my blood work in six months. I told her that I was starting Nutrisystem, and she said it wasn’t bad, but it’s not for the long haul. I agreed and explained my plan. She let me know that she’s a member of Weight Watchers and has lost 60 pounds.

This has had me thinking about my food addiction and eating disorder. Is it really that bad? Yep. I have used food to celebrate, to commiserate, to punish, to hide behind, and a whole lot of other ways that are not healthy for me. I love sweets and just don’t have the ability to stop. My parents were functioning alcoholics. If research means anything, I am likely predisposed. I never cared for the taste of alcohol, but I’ll trade up and take my sugar baked or buried in chocolate. It is an addiction.

When my boss came into work this morning he stopped at my office door and asked if I read the news. I had not gotten to the paper (I opted to be spiritual first and was reading my devotion). He informed me that are recently reassigned administrative assistant was in the police log. Since we work with the part of the population who struggles with legal issues, the Police Logs is the first section we turn to. In our town you don’t break the law in private.

So, our gal was picked up for shoplifting (a pregnancy test, cold medicine, and a bottle of vodka). She just got off probation after serving 18 months in prison for drug and alcohol related charges. She knew what she needed to do: avoid it like the plague. Like most of us, she didn’t do that which she knew.

My heart is breaking for her. I will call her, but I worry that shame may cause her to isolate and that will just make things so much worse. She had been encouraged to attend meetings, get a sponsor, but she shied away from accountability. It’s not a good thing to do. We were created for relationship, with God and one another.

And that brings me back to my conversation with the doctor and doing what I know. As she was making her pitch for Weight Watchers, she mentioned that she felt that a big part of what makes WW so successful is the meetings: connecting with people and stepping on that scale—ACCOUNTABILITY!

My weight has been creeping back on. I wanted to blame it on my thyroid or metabolism changing. I quit going to Curves, blaming it on cost and time. I don’t like the way I look or feel. I don’t want to blimp out again. That’s why I decided to start eating on purpose. But I have to quit hiding too. I may write more about the journey. This is one place where I’m comfortable wrestling with my issues. Hold me accountable. Help me do what I know I need to do.

And thanks in advance, you have been there through so many rough times. I imagine you will be now, too.

7 comments:

Erin said...

Bobbie has written a lot about her success with OA (overeater's anon). I'm sure she'd be glad to talk to you about it if you wanted.

As for me... I haven't bottomed out yet...

Hope said...

www.radiantrecovery.com is another good source. It deals with the biochemistry of sugar addiction in gradual, baby steps.

For me it's being willing to sit in the feelings instead of feeding them combined with the physiological effect of being a sugar addict. Some days I simply want to pace back and forth in an effort not to binge. Nearly a year of no bingeing but it is still a day by day process. The radiant recovery community helps me be gentle with myself and continue to take baby steps as my body heals.

HeyJules said...

Wonderful post, Daisy. There's much for me to think about here...

bobbie said...

hey daisymarie!! thanks for the request for the link - i just don't have your email - can you email me at emergingsideways AT gmail DOT com??

i'd be happy to forward it to you!!

i haven't got a chance to read the post yet - but i see you've gotten some great comments already!

Heidi Renee said...

Okay - now I had a chance to read...

Hi, my name is Heidi and I am a compulsive over eater. OA has changed everything for me DM - everything. Diets just made me feel like a failure. I found that as soon as they stopped I was shot and gained back more weight than I ever lost.

For me it is an addiction and my parents were functioning alcoholics who found jesus, but never recovery. They stopped drinking, but all of the brokenness of the generations just clung to us. Recovery has helped me find out why and make different choices.

No offense to WW and anyone that can work their program for life, more power to them. But they only give the tools that deal with food. For me it's not about what I'm eating, it's about what's eating me.

I would be happy to talk with you about this DM - no pressure - just share my experience, strength and hope - because I have found it there.

If this resonates at all (and it's totally okay if it doesn't- we believe in attraction, not promotion) you can find a meeting in your area at:

www.oa.org

much love and prayers!!

Trisha said...

I've gained and though part of it is certainly my own fault other parts can be attributed to my meds and the fact that I don't tolerate exercise much at all because of the pain in my head. I am praying to find a way to get some of it back off.

Judy said...

Oh, I've been wanting to try that!

I will be excited to see how it goes for you.

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    About Me

    My photo
    I am 54 years old. I have been married for 32 years to one of the most incredible men on the face of the planet. Our journey hasn't been easy, but it's been rich in love, forgiveness, joy, and adventure. I'm learning daily that God really does have a plan for my life. I want to live into whatever that means...however it unfolds. I'm an ESFP with a healthy dose of ADD...I love to help people see how very incredible they are and how much love God wants to lavish on them!