I don’t get on soapboxes very often here…but this morning I am totally confuzzled.
Let me preface this by saying: I am a sports enthusiast. I enjoy professional sports—all kinds! I really appreciate athletic talent and feel it should be compensated WITHIN SANE REASON! The problem, as I see it, is that Sanity has left the building.
The piece that brings me to my limit was something I heard on Sports Center this morning. Perhaps you’ve been following or are aware of the Brett Favre saga—unless you’ve been living under a sports-less rock you can’t miss it! Today the announcer said that the Packers are willing to pay Favre $20, 000,000 (that’s 20 MILLION dollars) to not play.
Excuse me?!!! Did you catch that? Who has $20 million dollars lying around doing nothing that they can offer it to a player to NOT PLAY?????
I am beside myself with the absolute ridiculousness of this!!! How? Why? He retired and now he wants to play. But he’s still “under contract” with the Packers. They have a new young phenom, they don’t need Favre. He’s old, okay, older now. He’s not going to be any real threat if you trade him to another team. This has been the crux of the argument for a few weeks now, but today’s announcement makes me ill. And the sports announcer said that Favre was going to have to think about the offer.
Life is screwy and scary. How many people, good honest hardworking people, do you know who can barely make their paychecks cover their essential needs? I know so many I can’t and this schmuck is pulling this kind of crap.
Okay, now Nelson clarified this: the Packers offered Favre a 10yr 25 million dollar contract to do marketing. He used to be one of my favorite players. Now I just think he took way too many hits to the head. Pathetic.
Now if you’ll excuse me I’m going to shop for bargains at the area’s best garage sales.
Nothing is wasted. My life is often messy: sometimes because of choices I've made and sometimes becuase life is just messy at times. No matter how the mess comes, one thing remains true: out of the mess comes my message.
Saturday, August 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Twitter Updates
About Me
- daisymarie
- I am 54 years old. I have been married for 32 years to one of the most incredible men on the face of the planet. Our journey hasn't been easy, but it's been rich in love, forgiveness, joy, and adventure. I'm learning daily that God really does have a plan for my life. I want to live into whatever that means...however it unfolds. I'm an ESFP with a healthy dose of ADD...I love to help people see how very incredible they are and how much love God wants to lavish on them!
1 comment:
i know - the balance of who gets paid for what is absolutely crazy in our world ... ? weird ...
Post a Comment