I’m reading a good book on writing—or maybe it’s just about living. I bought it off the internet because I had checked it out of the library and I quickly wanted to start marking in it, not a good thing to do to a library book, but a good indication that there’s some noteworthy stuff inside. The title: The Zen of Proposal Writing.
Here’s something I read this morning that prompted new thoughts and an “aha moment”: Your audience is one single reader. I have found that sometimes it helps to pick out one person—a real person you know, or an imagined person—and write to that one (John Steinbeck).
I read that and instantly became aware of something that had been holding back my writing. I was stifled in my writing because I was trying to write to everybody and we already know we can’t please everybody, so why bother? So, I didn’t. But maybe I can if I pick out one person to write to.
Now here’s my new dilemma: do I write to the person who gets me or do I write to the one who’s sitting there kinda squinting in half-pain because their brain is working so hard and work to explain it because it’s so rewarding when the pained look leaves and the light comes on? Or maybe I keep them both in mind and write certain things to the one and other things to the other. Did you get that or does your brain hurt?
Nothing is wasted. My life is often messy: sometimes because of choices I've made and sometimes becuase life is just messy at times. No matter how the mess comes, one thing remains true: out of the mess comes my message.
Tuesday, August 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Twitter Updates
About Me
- daisymarie
- I am 54 years old. I have been married for 32 years to one of the most incredible men on the face of the planet. Our journey hasn't been easy, but it's been rich in love, forgiveness, joy, and adventure. I'm learning daily that God really does have a plan for my life. I want to live into whatever that means...however it unfolds. I'm an ESFP with a healthy dose of ADD...I love to help people see how very incredible they are and how much love God wants to lavish on them!
3 comments:
As you may or may not be aware, I am an admin asst during business hours. One thing I get asked to do quite a bit is to read my bosses' letters and reports as if I were the client (in other words, where does the engineer forget that his clients are NOT engineers!)
So...given that I read from someone else's perspective all day long I'd say read it like you want someone who doesn't get you to read it. Make them understand what they need to know and then let your personality and individual perspective shine through.
I guess it depends on who you're writing for at any particular time. If you're talking about grant proposals... granting agencies seem to have their own language, and will be looking for certain phrases/keywords. If you're talking about clients, then what Jules said is absolutely true.
So I guess my answer would be: it depends :)
Helpful, eh? lol.
I'll make this easy for you.
Write to me!
Post a Comment