How prejudice are you? Now before you get all defensive and sink deep into denial, let’s closely consider the definition:
1. an unfavorable opinion or feeling formed beforehand or without knowledge, thought, or reason.
2. any preconceived opinion or feeling, either favorable or unfavorable.
3. unreasonable feelings, opinions, or attitudes, esp. of a hostile nature, regarding a racial, religious, or national group.
4. such attitudes considered collectively: The war against prejudice is never-ending.
5. damage or injury; detriment: a law that operated to the prejudice of the majority.
–verb (used with object)
6. to affect with a prejudice, either favorable or unfavorable: His honesty and sincerity prejudiced us in his favor.
—Idiom
7. without prejudice, Law. without dismissing, damaging, or otherwise affecting a legal interest or demand.
(Dictionary.com unabridged)
Have you ever felt someone was prejudiced against you? Why was that? How did it feel? How did you handle it?
I remember being pre-judged as far back as second grade. My weak eye muscles gave me an odd look. People never knew if I was looking at them or past them. I was called names and ostracized. The playground is a vicious place.
An interesting thing began to develop: I began to expect that people would judge me. I became prejudiced against others, assuming them to be unfair judgers. And I never anticipated a favorable judgment. So typically I was defensive from the get-go. Not the best way to make a positive first impression. If my boss called me to the office it was never for good.
There was a time when I would have assumed that someone who wasn’t working was lazy and didn’t want to work. If I saw someone with tattoos I would have thought negatively. I have a greater compassion for the severely obese than I did in the past. My opinions have changed, softened. I’ve become more understanding and accepting of differences.
Yesterday I applied for a job. It’s a job I am more than qualified for as a trainer in a manufacturing setting. I gave my information to a very nice lady who sounded like she was from Bombay. At points she seemed quite excited to have found someone who fit the criteria so well. Then she asked if I would be willing to submit to an extensive drug and background test. Absolutely was my response—but I wanted to say this: I will submit to your back ground check as long as you check my references first.
I am beyond qualified for this job. I bring a work ethic that is exceptional to everything I do. I’m good for people. I have people who will say this about me. The evaluations that I receive from the trainings I have provided supports, proves, that people get a lot out of what I teach. I would be an excellent choice for the position, but I will probably not even get past the phone interview that I have scheduled for today if even a preliminary background check is done because I have a felony conviction.
The felony conviction has become an arbitrary weeding tool for companies in our economy and work environment today. Companies would rather go through the process of training less qualified and less committed candidates, who will not make it beyond the probationary period, than consider someone with a felony conviction. In most cases it doesn’t matter how old the conviction is or that it has nothing to do with the job in question.
When I worked as a Reentry Development Specialist, my job was to help get people, primarily those with felony convictions, in the right place mentally and emotionally to get and keep jobs. As I taught the classes I got pretty good at knowing who was really ready and who was going to bottom out. With the right (aka consistent) coaching most could make it. It was generally pretty obvious who had truly learned from their mistakes and were ready to move on and who were still tethered to the old ways of thinking and behaving.
I learned a lot while doing that job. One of the lessons was hard and hurt. I saw gifted and dedicated people turned down for jobs again and again because of foolish choices they made in their past. I watched as their will deteriorated with each rejection. They lost their motivation and some returned to their former ways of coping and living. With no hope, no future in sight, and PO’s and courts breathing down their necks or bill collectors knocking on their doors, these folks folded and just gave into what must true because everyone believed it about them: they were just losers.
I don’t know what the solution is. But I have a couple ideas. First, there needs to be greater incentives to employers to not just consider but employ persons with felony convictions. There are tax credits available and federal bonding insurance, but it’s easy to ignore. Make it more obvious and appealing. And then, we all need to look at our prejudices. We need to stop pre-judging people. My father once told me that it takes all kinds to make this world. Can we make room in our world for those who are different than us?
It’s almost time for my phone interview. I think I’ll get another cup of coffee and hold onto hope…and keep the want ads where I can see them.
Nothing is wasted. My life is often messy: sometimes because of choices I've made and sometimes becuase life is just messy at times. No matter how the mess comes, one thing remains true: out of the mess comes my message.
Wednesday, August 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Twitter Updates
About Me
- daisymarie
- I am 54 years old. I have been married for 32 years to one of the most incredible men on the face of the planet. Our journey hasn't been easy, but it's been rich in love, forgiveness, joy, and adventure. I'm learning daily that God really does have a plan for my life. I want to live into whatever that means...however it unfolds. I'm an ESFP with a healthy dose of ADD...I love to help people see how very incredible they are and how much love God wants to lavish on them!
2 comments:
So, how did it go?
Hi! I have been reading (lurking) your blog for a while and first let me tell you how much I've enjoyed it. I wish I could talk to you sometime because I have a friend with a felong conviction and the only jobs she can find is waiting tables. She is very intelligent - just did a really stupid thing. Most potential employers won't even talk to her once they see the box checked on the application. So.. any suggestions??? Debbie in Mississippi
Post a Comment