Monday, February 18, 2008

More on Monday

Getting connected is a fleeting thing. The opportunities pass so quickly at the house. I’m looking forward to going to the library on Tuesday.

I’m sitting on the back patio right now. It’s chilly and the thermometer is reading over 60. Both Mom and George fussed a bit when I said I wanted to come outside but this is what I came for. The air is fresh. The birds are singing all around. The sky is perfectly clear. Right now the moon is almost directly overhead. I want to take a walk, but I’m afraid that George will insist on going with me and I just love walking alone and just soaking in everything around me.

Monday Morning:
I got up early. Was able to connect briefly. Walked to Curves (about a ½ mile), did my workout (and intensely, I might add), then walked home. It was really nice. The air was nippy, only 40 something. I chuckled out loud when I would pass walkers all bundled up in heavy parkas, big scarfs, and earmuffs while was in a pair of Capri’s and a sweatshirt.

I walked briskly and could feel the bounce in my step. I found myself giggling as I walked. It was that joyous sound that just escapes and you can’t or don’t want to hold it in. I decided while I was walking that I don’t want to be like so many of the “old” people I see around here. I want to keep laughing--not at things or about things, but just the laughter that springs from pure enjoyment with life. If I could do that (and I did) when I was in jail I should be able to when I get old and everyone around me is grousing about something.

Yesterday Mom and I ran out to the grocery to get staples for the weak. I also ran in a bought a charger for my phone--necessities. When I rejoined Mom in the grocery I split my time between listening to her and watching the couples in the store. Perhaps I was noticing them because it was my anniversary. What I noticed made me a little sad. They appeared to merely be going through the motions. There were very few words spoken. There were no smiles and there was definitely no laughter. I determined that Nelson and I were not going to be that way. We aren’t now and I’m just not going to let that change. It would be different if I detected a quiet comfort between the couples but it was more cold and robotic. Yuck!

I also decided that if I have to wade into Alzheimer’s I’m going to have fun. I’m going to start by writing my loved ones a letter. I’m going to let them know that I’m taking a trip. I may come back and visit occasionally, but not to worry when I don’t recognize them or come by as often. The good memories, the ones I cherish, are locked way deep inside and no one or no thing is going to take them from me. It’s half fantasy half prayer half wish. I always want more than I can have.

Wasbi Peas. Have you tried them. I think I’m addicted--but they’re rough on my system. I could sit and eat a whole can without realizing it. And just about did. Ouch. My stomach is burning now and I’m afraid I may regret it later, too. (Sorry if that’s TMI)

Mom and I are tied on Scrabble games: 7 a piece. Last night I had to call halt to the play. I thought for a minute that she was just looking at her letters. But when she didn’t move for a few moments I woke her up and sent her to bed. She’s got a terrible cough--she had it before I got here. She won’t go see the doctor. I wouldn’t be so concerned if she wasn’t crackling when she breathed and if her color was better. She just looks so fragile. Maybe it’s not just wasabi peas churning in my gut.

Ok, now I’m a little more than concerned. She just fell asleep playing again and it’s lunch time. She agreed to lay down for a little nap. Hopefully, that will help things be better. She was, afterall, awake several times last night coughing. A nap is perfectly in order.

Well, that’s enough for now. If I can get connected I’ll post this real quick. TTFN

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    About Me

    My photo
    I am 54 years old. I have been married for 32 years to one of the most incredible men on the face of the planet. Our journey hasn't been easy, but it's been rich in love, forgiveness, joy, and adventure. I'm learning daily that God really does have a plan for my life. I want to live into whatever that means...however it unfolds. I'm an ESFP with a healthy dose of ADD...I love to help people see how very incredible they are and how much love God wants to lavish on them!