Tuesday:
I slept in a little today. As much as my bladder would let me. Then I spent some time surfing the net. I had Scrabble games to catch up on (Facebook has a wonderful application!). Just before my shower I cleaned the walls and ceiling in the bathroom. We have no ventilation in there and mold is a problem. No ventilation was a problem while I was cleaning too, I’m still smelling that stuff—yuck!
After my shower I ran errands for Nelson. One of the most important was to get our signed lease to the Landlord. We’ll be here another year, so there must be a reason we need this big house. Daughter Ann is trying desperately to stay out there on her own, but it’s becoming more financially difficult for her. I wish see didn’t see this as a failure, but a time out to regroup—wish I hadn’t raised her to be so independent. If things don’t work out, at least there’s a safe place for her to land.
This afternoon I wrote next week’s devotions and got them posted. I may lose my procrastinator’s license for that, but I’ll try and live with it. (insert giggle here) If you were interested in seeing what I’ve written here’s the addy: http://www.parkstreetbrethren.org/learn_grow/devotional/daily/?devo_dt=071508 It’s been fun and challenging to take this on for the whole year.
Tonight is the All Star game. Nelson decided he wanted Coney dogs with slaw from the A&W stand, which also meant we got root bear. Asher ate his fries and drank his
root beer. Now he’s making himself burp. He’s such a boy! And these aren’t just little baby burps. Nope. According to Asher: ooh, that’s a juicy one. He has Pepa and Mema laughing like crazy. He’s such a little ham. The other day he wanted “oreos and a cup of milk.” I nixed the milk foreseeing quite a mess and offered a bottle (yes, he still drinks his milk from a bottle…everything else can come in a cup, but he wants his milk in a little bottle.) He was sitting on the couch taking his oreos apart and eating the icing, the way they are supposed to be eaten, when he looked at me and said: Tasty! You just never know what he’s going to say.
Wednesday:
I could not stay awake to watch the end of the game. This morning when I read it went 4hrs and 50min, I decided I was glad I didn’t even try! I’m finally not smelling the mildew cleaner from yesterday. That’s quite a relief.
So what to do today? I was sitting here thinking about it. When I’m working I think: oh, if I had the day off what fun I would have. The other day I wished I could get away and “play” with a friend. I thought about it again this morning, even writing on my Facebook page: no work, guess I’ll play all day. Problem is: I have no friends to play with. Nelson is unable to get around. My sis is visiting her new love interest in Florida. Everyone else I know is working. So I may go play alone. I’ve always said I’m pretty good company.
Today’s verse:
He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1 (Compliments of Facebook—I like what seems to be the arbitrariness of the selected passages.)
The one who dwells: This is a picture of living with. One of the most memorable devotions I read on this concept was from John Henry Jowett (back when I was in college—so you can see the thought has stayed with me for quite some time). He wrote about the “home bird.” There was a comparison to the flitting about verses the nesting. Where do you nest?
Dwelling holds with it also a sense of intimacy. What do you know about the people you live with? Nelson and I have been together almost 30 years. There’s a lot of TMI that comes with living with someone that long, but there’s also a deep sense of comfort in being that known. When I say I’m hungry a certain way, Nelson just knows to suggest we have pizza for dinner.
I live in a big old house. There were a few things that immediately drew me to it: wonderful unpainted woodwork, a huge lilac bush in the back yard, and shade trees. I love a secluded and shaded back yard. New homes don’t have that so much. I love being able in the summer to be able to sit in the shade and rest while the grandbabies play about the yard. My soul just soaks that up!
Now translate that into our relationship with God. Many associate dwelling with God as having to do with heaven, not even considering the here and now. This is where we get to know Him. Now is when we become intimate with Him, when we let him into our home, our life. He knows us fully. How well do we know Him? How sad to be one of those people who says they’ve been in the church all their lives, but they can’t describe an intimate relationship with the one who knows them best and loves them most. That’s not living…it’s barely existing.
But if we will abide. I can’t help but think about Jesus’ words to His disciples in their final hours together. It is recorded by John in his gospel, chapter 15. Abiding is dwelling and abiding results in completely full joy and being called His friend. My mind imagines the laughter and comfort of hanging out in God’s backyard, in the shade of His presence. It’s a pretty cool place to be!
Nothing is wasted. My life is often messy: sometimes because of choices I've made and sometimes becuase life is just messy at times. No matter how the mess comes, one thing remains true: out of the mess comes my message.
Wednesday, July 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Twitter Updates
About Me
- daisymarie
- I am 54 years old. I have been married for 32 years to one of the most incredible men on the face of the planet. Our journey hasn't been easy, but it's been rich in love, forgiveness, joy, and adventure. I'm learning daily that God really does have a plan for my life. I want to live into whatever that means...however it unfolds. I'm an ESFP with a healthy dose of ADD...I love to help people see how very incredible they are and how much love God wants to lavish on them!
Blog Archive
-
▼
2008
(148)
-
▼
July
(20)
- Out of the boat
- Because it needs to be says...
- Catching Up
- The Next Phase
- And then it was Thursday
- Sharing a Smile
- Survived!
- Exciting Monday
- Sunday Ponderings
- Getting the weekend started
- Sweet Summer Days
- Something New
- Days Off
- Monday News
- Waves of Blessings
- Just Stuff
- Insanity
- Bubble Thoughts
- Happy 4th!
- Blessed
-
▼
July
(20)
2 comments:
How might I find you on Facebook?
Still can't find you.
I'm the only Judy Haskill.
And, I cannot seem to win at Scrabulous lately.
Post a Comment