Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy 4th!

I got a job today. Kinda, sorta. We had a big cookout lunch at work today. (Yeah, I got to work Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday! Yay!) After lunch the owner talked to me about doing some quality control work. He made it sound like it would be down the road a ways, but as the day ended I found myself sitting across the table from the Quality Manager discussing what I need to learn. And it is tons.

I have to learn how to use micrometers and calipers and a bunch of other “ers” and also how to read the blueprints. Guys go to school for years to learn this stuff and I’m going to be given a week to learn. I’ve been given encouragement: several people have said I can handle it. I hope so!

After work I drove half way to Annie’s and got the grandkids. We’ll have them all weekend. I’m hoping the rain goes away before the fireworks. We rented a wheel chair so that Nelson could go to our community’s balloon fest and the fireworks tomorrow night.

When I got back from getting the grandsweeties from Annie I found company sitting in my living room. A couple from our ABF came over with a gift from the class. While they waited for me to get home Asher entertained them. He’s such a little ham and I guess he was in rare form. Anyway, they handed me a card before they left that had two gas cards, a Walmart card, and an envelope with cash. It was an overwhelming blessing—especially since Nelson still hasn’t gotten a check from BWC!

In my conversation with the owner, he stated that he felt this position would be less physically demanding and more mentally challenging. I liked the sounds of that. I am hurting less these days. Wednesday I even mowed after work and didn’t hurt! I also figured out why my left is hurting. When I step off the stud press platform I always come down on my left foot and sometimes not as solidly or gently as I should. So I’ve been trying to mix it up and be more conscious of my landings. It’s just weird to come down on my right foot first—it’s just not natural. Try doing something different for a while—it really makes you be conscious of your presence in the moment.

Ok, it’s Friday morning. I slept quite fitfully. My failure dreams returned. It’s so important for me to do well—let’s be honest: I always shoot towards perfection. I know that’s unreasonable and I really have learned to be more grace-full, but old habits have deep roots. I spent some time on the internet reading, researching, and practicing.

One good thing!! I was digging through some clothes in one of Nelson’s boxes—no that’s not good in itself, but two weeks ago I was in a 44x30 pair of pants. Last week I got into a 42. This morning: 40! This is definitely returning to the right direction. I have a closet full of clothes I love, but can’t wear right now. I’m going to have to pare down. I will be working in graphite so work clothes will most likely be jeans and dark t-shirts. I won’t need all my suites and dressy work clothes. I’ll probably resell some on Ebay and drop some others off at the local center that has a special area of “interview” outfits.

Well, I think it’s time to rescue Pepa from the babies. Happy 4th and may your fireworks light up your skies!

1 comment:

Erin said...

Yay about the job!! You can totally do this. It's a matter of having attention to detail, and you're good at that.

Happy Friday :)

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    About Me

    My photo
    I am 54 years old. I have been married for 32 years to one of the most incredible men on the face of the planet. Our journey hasn't been easy, but it's been rich in love, forgiveness, joy, and adventure. I'm learning daily that God really does have a plan for my life. I want to live into whatever that means...however it unfolds. I'm an ESFP with a healthy dose of ADD...I love to help people see how very incredible they are and how much love God wants to lavish on them!